Can I protest? WWJD?

     I have watched some of the protesting that is going on around the United States over the past few months. How could I not? It was on every channel during every show. I, like most Americans, had my opinions on the protests, the protesters, the reason for the protest and what should happen. Just like every other American I had my quick fix idea. As I step back and look at my quick fix solution I realize that it probably wouldn't work because I don't know all of the insides and outsides of the situation. I only know what the media, social media and an occasional researched article tells me. I know that I don't know everything about any of the situations. So is my opinion an informed opinion? Not really. But when has that stopped anybody from sharing their opinion? In America it doesn't matter if your opinion is based on facts, myths, research, fantasy or anything else. America will find you a place to express it. It may be on social media, at the watercooler, from a platform, among friends, in line at the DMV or call in radio shows.
     All this protesting has made me think. Not only about the issues they are protesting but about protesting in general. According to Dictionary.com the definition for protest is an expression or declaration of objection, disapproval, or dissent, often in opposition to something a person is powerless to prevent or avoid. So a protest is a way of making a statement against something you do not believe is fair or right. This is done in many ways. There are those who do it peaceful manner and those who do it in a violent manner. There are those who bring attention to their statement and those who bring attention to themselves. There are effective ones and there are ineffective ones.
     Over the years we have seen many types of protest. We have seen unions make a statement against business owners by going on strike. They quit doing what they were supposed to do in order to protest what they considered unfair treatment. In America we can't forget the protest that started it all, "Taxation without representation". It lead to America becoming America. In that case the protesters
decided to breakaway from those who they felt were treating them unfairly. I have been on sports teams that played under protest. In that case, we still did what we were there to do but we played under protest to let everyone know we didn't like it. 
     As I thought more and more about protesting I remember trying to protest things at home growing up. I felt like I was being treated unfairly by my parents many times. I used my words and actions to deliver my message. I received my parents reply in the form of a belt or in the form of handing over my privileges or in the form of doing what my parents told me to start with. Why was my protests crushed? Maybe because I wasn't really being treated unfairly. Like most kids, I had my wants and desires but I didn't understand the results those wants and desires would bring. I needed someone who understood those results to teach me how to avoid those mistakes. 
     As a Christians what should I do about protesting? Should I be supportive? Should I condemn those that do? Should I stay neutral? Should my opinion be based on the protest and not on protesting as a whole? If only I could know what Jesus would do. After all I was a young cool Christian in the 1990's so I had my WWJD bracelets. So what would Jesus do if He saw something that wasn't right?
Would He protest? Would He just complain? Would He hoped somebody would do something about it? If only I knew...oh, wait I do. 
     In my official WWJD Handbook, the Bible, I find a story about Jesus protesting in chapter 21 of Matthew. We find Jesus entering into the temple not to find worship going on but to find people making a mockery of worship and the temple. Jesus didn't find this acceptable. As He quoted Isaiah 56:7 as He turned over tables and ran out the money changers. His protest was heard loud and clear. He was angry. He was not having a good day. He was offended. He took a stand. So what can we learn from Jesus? Do we go through schools, churches, police stations, the White House and our work places turning over tables every time we have a bad day or get offended? Do we organize protest every time Wendy's gets our order wrong? Hey, I get pretty upset when my Baconator Fries come with very little bacon. Again let's look at the example Jesus set.
      If we learned one thing about Jesus it was He was always led by God to do whatever He did. Everything He did pointed to God. He even said so on more than one occasion that the words and works He did was not of Him but of His Father. So when it comes to protesting that is our test. Do I feel led by God to do this? Is this the way God would want me to do it? Who am I bringing attention
to? It doesn't matter if you are protesting the passing of a unfair law or a referee that left his glasses at home the goal of a Christian is to glorify God. Don't believe me? Try reading Colossians 3:23 which says, " Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men" (HCSB) Does this mean protesting? Yes. Does this mean playing sports? Yes. Does this mean working at your job? Yes. Does this mean hanging out with friends? Yes. Does everything really mean everything? Yes.
     So what is the proper way to protest? The way God leads you. Not the way everybody else is or has done it. Not what your angry flesh tells you. Not the way that will bring you glory and praise. Not the way Satan tells you to do it. Just like everything else you do follow God's leadership. He will guide you what to protest, when to protest, where to protest, how to protest, why to protest and most importantly, if to protest. As Christians we need to remember our first allegiance is to God and our life should reflect that. Being offend or being treated unfairly does not relieve us of our duty to live a life that reflects God. If anything it is a call to step up our game. So what ever you do today, do it for the Lord.


Parting Thought: If it weren't for the last minute, a lot of things wouldn't get done.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Gravy & Bacon

Sin is easy to resist, at least the ones I don't commit are.

Sock Problems