"It is easier to ask for forgivness than to get permission" are words not to live by.

     A couple of weeks ago I ran into Walmart on a Friday evening to grab one thing. I was able to accomplish this task because neither my wife or daughter was with me. What I needed was near the Garden Center so I went to check out there. The young man in front of me had a grill sitting on top of his buggy which was filled with steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs, buns and different spices and sauces. Another man behind me asked the young man if he was planning on eating good over the weekend.
I did notice 2 packs of bacon in his buggy so I knew he would be. He smiled while telling us that his wife had paid off a credit card the week before and since they had talked about getting a grill he decided to get one along with some meat to grill. I noticed the sticker price of the grill was over $300. and there was easily another $100. worth of meat in the buggy. The man behind me spoke again. He asked if the young man's wife knew he was buying the grill and meat. The young man shrugged his shoulders and said, "Not really, but I figure it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission, right?" That phrase always makes my insides get twisted up into knots. There is a phrase that always runs in my mind when I hear that phrase and sometimes like in this case it runs out my mouth. I said to the young man, "But that doesn't mean it is right." The young man looked shocked. The man behind me chuckled. I think I almost got an Amen.
     Rear Admiral Grace Hopper is credited with that quote. It first appeared in The US Navy's Chip Ahoy magazine in July of 1986. She later said in another publication, "If it is a good idea, go ahead and do it. It is much easier to apologize than it is to get permission." I can't say that I agree. I can see that there may be some situations that it would apply to but I can see more situations that it shouldn't apply but is anyway. More and more people seem to live by that thought. It is slowly becoming the new Golden Rule. That scares me. Why?
     As a general rule it is not a good thing to do anything that you will have to apologize for later. If you are having to apologize that means somebody was hurt. So someone's convenience was more important than someone else's feelings? I am sure that isn't what most people mean when they say it but that is what their actions say. Which speaks louder? What we say or what we do?
     The trouble with seeking forgiveness afterwards is the damage is already done. In many cases damage that could have been prevented. The person already feels disrespected by the time you apologize and the relationship is damaged. There may have been a reason the person wouldn't have wanted you to do what you did. You may not have known that reason and learning about it afterwards is too late. Just because we can't see any reason we shouldn't be able to do something doesn't mean there isn't one. Another problem with seeking forgiveness afterwards is most people never seek that
forgiveness they said was easy to get. Maybe that is why it is easy, because it isn't sought after.
     If you are one of those who live by the words of Grace Hopper I encourage you to evaluate each situation before applying those words. After all the ends don't justify the means. We are told in the scriptures that we are a witness to the world so our actions should point to Christ who did all things out of love. Colossians 3:17 puts it this way, "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (ESV) WWJD is more than a bracelet from the 1990's. It is a reminder of how we should live our life and doing things that we will have to apologize for later doesn't sound like Jesus at all.



Parting thought: Mondays are not user friendly.
   

Comments

  1. I always enjoy reading your blog . . . thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Gravy & Bacon

Sin is easy to resist, at least the ones I don't commit are.

Sock Problems