I am a Dance Dad and I am proud of it, just don't tell my friends.

     When my daughter was 2 my wife's friend invited our daughter to "Bring a friend to dance class" at Debbie Huffman's Dace Academy. My wife was over joyed and our daughter loved it. So Lisa talked to Mrs. Debbie and arranged for Abby to begin dance class. They were so excited they could 
not wait to buy Abby's shoes and leotard so she could get started. I on the other hand was concerned. How was this going to interfere with T-Ball? I finally comforted myself thinking this dance stuff would be good for her footwork and maybe hand-eye coordination. So for the next few years we balanced the two activities. Many times we would take our ball player straight from dance class to the field. We moved from T-Ball to Coach Pitch softball and I was getting more excited. Her last year in Coach Pitch she went on a streak toward the end of the season where she was hitting the ball super hard. She even almost took my head off during one game, but I didn't mind. Everything was going as I planned. I could envision her on a travel softball team in the near future.
      That was until the summer before we were to start Kid Pitch softball. We were at the beach and Lisa had been texting and calling the other dance moms about something called Competition Dance for a couple of weeks. Now I was not in favor of this. It meant another night of dance, extra tuition, and more costumes. It also meant dance competitions on the weekends that were meant for softball. While we were at the beach, which is not my favorite place in the world to start with, Lisa gets a call from the competition dance teacher asking her if Abby would interested in joining the team. Before I knew what was happening Abby was signed up. I had a bad feeling about this.
     Once we got back home, began the class and finally received the information about how this competition dance stuff worked I realized there was going to be a problem. There was no way to she could do both competition dance and travel softball. So I pleaded my case to Lisa and she agreed. So I of course explained why dance had to go but she did not agree with that part. In fact, she had the crazy idea of letting Abby decide what she wanted to do. How was she supposed to decide that? So after much debating, well I call it debating but it was mostly me whining and Lisa explaining why it should be Abby's decision, it was time to give Abby her choices.
     I had a plan. I wanted to make sure Abby made the right choice so when we were giving her the possibilities I added in a little incentive. I promised the new pink bat, bag and glove she wanted. I even agreed to an airbrushed batting helmet that she had picked out while at the beach. I was sure that would swing the decision to the way I wanted, I mean that was best for her. Then came the most shocking moment in my parenting career. Without hesitation, without thought and without ever looking back she choose dance. I cried. I mean I cried on the inside because men don't cry.
     I tried to fight it but there was no use. Soon hip-hop class was added. Then a solo for competition and next year there will be a duet too. Every article of clothes I have has glitter on it because of the costumes. My toothbrush taste like hairspray because of the fog in the bathroom the morning of a competition. This year I reached a new low, I had my own dance dad shirt. It said, "I don't dance I finance" on the front and Abby's Dad on the back. Both are very true statements.
     I often get asked why or how I can do it. Run my daughter to dace classes, sit through hours of competitions, hours of recitals and having my daughter running and dancing all over the house while spreading glitter on everything. Well, I will tell you why I do it.

 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
Col 3:21 (KJV)

As you look at different versions of the Bible it says provoke, discourage, aggravate and many other words that speak to me. If she was still on the softball field I would be there wearing my uniform in full support so if she is dancing I should be there with my dance dad shirt in full support too. After all she is still my daughter even if she is not playing the sport of my choosing. So I look at Colossians 3:21 in a reverse manner. I should be supportive of my daughter so she will be encouraged. Parents we need to realize that our children are their owns selves. I can see my influence in my daughter (her love of bacon) but she is still her own person. So I will spend more hours watching dance competitions and recitals and I will love every minute of it, because I love my daughter. As parents we need to pray that God will help us encourage our children by being there when they need us even if it is not where we want to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Gravy & Bacon

Sin is easy to resist, at least the ones I don't commit are.

Sock Problems