I was given the traffic finger on a Sunday!

So yesterday afternoon I was driving back to church and I come to an intersection where I needed to make a right turn on to Highway 321. There was a small white car already at the intersection and I could tell from the back of their head it was somebody's grandmother. It became obvious she wanted no part of turning right on red so we waited for the light to change. Behind me was another small car with two young ladies that looked like they could be somebody's grandkids. They obviously had somewhere important to get to in a hurry because they soon begin blowing their horn and making hand motions to indicate they wanted me to go. I assumed they could not see the small car in front of me so I just ignored them. The grandmother in front of me however was not in an ignoring mood and she could not see the car behind me so she thought it was me who was blowing the horn. So she starts shaking her fist at me. Now I am laughing because I have two teen girls behind me who have begun to scream "GO" while motioning me to go and I have an angry grandmother in front of me shaking her fist at me. I put my hands in the air so that the sweet angry grandmother could see it was not me who was blowing the horn but that didn't help. The light finally turns green but grandma doesn't see it change because she is now turned around shaking her fist at me and I am glad I could not read her lips or I may not still think of her as a sweet grandmother. The teens behind me have noticed the light has changed so now they are calling me all kinds of names. I am laughing so hard I can hardly breath. Finally, grandma realizes the light has changed and she pulls out slowly. I follow her and the teen girls whip around me giving me the traffic finger as the pass. I point to the car in front of me and they pull beside of grandma.. Now I am not laughing because I do not want anybody to harass a grandma. Then the weirdest thing happened. The girls blow the horn and grandma looks over at them and sticks her hand out the window waving at them. The girls are waving back and the girl in the passenger seat even sticks her head out the window blowing kisses to grandma. Now I am really confused. The girls pull in front of grandma and both cars pull into the same development. So as I continued on my way I was imagining grandma asking the girls if they seen the rude guy in the blue pickup blowing the horn at her at the intersection and them saying they did but never telling it was them blowing the horn and giving the traffic finger. Then I got to thinking what if I had done what they did to me, to their grandmother? How would that make them feel? I would not like it if somebody did that to my grandmother. That feeling takes the golden rule to another level.

      Matthew 7:12 "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (ESV)

I guess we can look at it as, "However you would want your grandmother treated, treat others in the same way." I am sure those ladies would not have wanted me to give their grandmother the traffic finger. Pray daily that God will guide you in the way you treat others, because you never know when it might be your grandmother or mother in the car in front of the line.



Comments

  1. Good lesson to be learned here about showing how a Christian should act at all times. Thank you, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Gravy & Bacon

Sin is easy to resist, at least the ones I don't commit are.

Sock Problems